What ya vaping on?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sikk66, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

A quick look over MT Baker, I would probably suggest the Kanger SUBOX Nano Starter Kit. It comes with everything you need except batteries, which you can grab 2 x Efest 18650s.

You have two options for battery:
    That Kanger SUBOX takes one battery at a time, so with 2 batteries, you are never without power. But you will need a charger to handle charging outside of the SUBOX.

You could also stick with one battery and just charge it internally, because the SUBOX will allow you to use while charging, because of it's "passthrough" capability.

This kit also comes with two different resistance coil heads. 1.5ohm and 0.5ohm. I would not suggest buying any additional coil heads until you have tried BOTH resistances and see which one you like better. Higher ohm coil heads generally vape at a lower wattage, while lower resistance vape at a higher wattage which produces a warmer vape and often times, more "clouds".

As for juice, sweet and fruity... Let's see: The cereal based juices are really good, like Fruity Hoops, Admiral Berry Crunch, Cinnatoast. Then you have options like Blue Moo that is a blueberry dessert pastry vape or Moo Juice that is a strawberry dessert pastry. That sounds delicious, actually. Cherry Limeade is usually pretty decent. The Strawberry Shortcake looks pretty good too.

I've never had any of their juice, so I cannot testify to the taste, but those are my go-to types of juices when ordering from a company for the first time because these are common stock recipes and if they are good, then it generally means the rest of their juices are good as well. Also the flavors above have pretty good ratings from their users, so that lends to credibility.

In fact, I might order some of these for myself LOL

2. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

Well, I just made a response to kizka and I think it would probably apply very well to you.

The Kanger Subtank Nano is a really good piece of equipment and it allows for more advanced vaping, e.g beyond gas station ecigs. It has adjustable airflow which will allow you to create a cooler or warmer vape throughout the day, which is actually very nice.

I preference it with the 0.5ohm coils because, in my opinion, it gives a much better experience over the 1.5ohm coils.

I was a 2PID smoker before I quit as well and back then, we didn't have this really awesome equipment and options. It was all some variation of the gas station style ecigs. I remember the techniques we used to modify our stuff were horrible. A common used item in a lot of the modifications back then was BLUE FISH TANK FILTER xD. Ah, I digress.

A lot of places try to create a correlation between how much you smoke to high levels of nic in ejuice, which isn't 100% accurate. It's relative to the resistance at which you vape. Let me use the SUBOX from above as an example.

It has the 1.5 and 0.5 ohm coils. With the 1.5 coil, you could probably start at a 24mg nic juice and it would be satisfying, which is how it went for years. But now, with lower resistance coils, like the 0.5 coil, you could probably start at 16mg or 18mg juice and achieve an extremely similar effect.

Back when we only had ecig style crap, I had to mix my own juice at 36mg because the vape rate was horrible and it took forever to heat up, etc. Today, I vape between 1-3mg nic on a 0.4ohm coil and sometimes, if I turn up the power toooo much, I need a 0mg juice.

So, with the Kanger SUBOX Stater Kit, you get the best of both worlds: low level and high level resistance, adjustable power, adjustable airflow, replaceable batteries, a small form factor, and it comes from a company that's pretty reliable.

3. tuesdayschild MTG Elite Contributor

Maybe I'll just call you eMcgyver from now on. Thanks for the advice. This has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm just afraid of making the wrong choice. Was it difficult for you to make a transition to products with different flavors? Should I stick to something that tastes more like a cigarette in the beginning?

4. Kizka Burning It Down Contributor

You are the bomb Krykiet. I will look tomorrow. The lingo is really confusing at the moment, but I know ill figure it all out.

5. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

I found the flavors to be far more enjoyable. The biggest shock for me in swapping was that tobacco is not what smoking tastes like. Smoke is what smoking tastes like. I attempted some tobacco flavors, and to me, they were gross.

But I also have don't care for chew, or cigars, or anything of that nature. If you like those things, a tobacco flavor might work, but I'm going to wager, probably not.

Getting my mom transitioned over was a giant pain in my butt because she insisted she wanted something that tasted like a cigarette and it took me almost a year to finally get her to understand it doesn't exist. No vape tastes like smoke.

Beyond that, it's picking flavors you like. It's almost similar to say, a wine and cheese pairing, lol. If I'm going to be drinking warm beverages, I like to go with bakery style flavors, they pair well together. That type of thing.

As for the wrong choice, you can't make a wrong choice in quitting cigarettes. Now, how much money you lose in the process, that's a whole different story :) It's always better to invest a little more up front for a piece of equipment that has some room to grow with you and is known to be reliable. There is absolutely nothing more devastating than getting something you've been waiting for and it doesn't work. That's why I suggest Kanger products 99% of the time, it's because they are solid and have been at this for a long time. I've been using their products off and on for almost 4 years.

The other really big piece of advice I can give you is this: Even if you don't buy much, find a local vape shop that has a good reputation. Not Wild Bills or some other cigarette chain shop, but an actual individually owned, respected vape shop. The amount of information they have is invaluable and they are usually more than willing to help you. Also, they generally have coil heads for purchase or if you need a new battery, etc. The markup is real, it will cost more than online purchases, but in the event something breaks or you need hands on help nothing will beat someone showing you. So, go in and mingle a few times, buy a juice or two on their recommendation, so that when you have to go in for help, you won't be an unknown face, ya know?

And yes, the anxiety and trepidation you feel, at the prospect of going away from smoking, is real. You aren't alone in that feeling. Those of us who have been smoking for 15, 20, 30, 40 years, at such an excessive rate generally feel it more intensely. It will go away, but it's going to take work and the first few weeks are going to kick your ass because you will have to start actively reducing smoking in your favorite place: With coffee, in the car, after dinner, etc. But instead of just not smoking, replace the action with vaping and it will make it a lot easier.

I believe you can do this.

• Love Love x 1
  6. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

The lingo threw me off for a long time as well. If you have any questions about what something means or what something does, don't be afraid to ask.

7. PuppyToes MTG Elite Contributor

I'm way late to the party on this one but 24mg or even 10 nic would put Sean Penn on his ass with a big SUBOX hit.

8. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

Right? The first time I subbed I literally fell on my ass, because I tried it with 24. It wasn't fun and I don't recommend it. lol

9. PuppyToes MTG Elite Contributor

I don't bother with sub ohm even though I use a subtank mini. I think my coils are like 1.2 and it's on a mvp 3. One of the biggest things you have to figure out is if you're more comfortable with bong style hits or cigarette style hits imo.

10. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

Yea, I think that's pretty accurate.

I do like the straight to lung hits better, but that's just me. I like to build coils and I like to make my juice. I'm totally am trying to work out a few recipes now and it's been so exciting getting closer and closer to the end result.

11. PuppyToes MTG Elite Contributor

I'm a straight to lung convert and assume most people that stick with it are but I'd never have gotten off cigarettes without a shitty gas station ecig.

12. PuppyToes MTG Elite Contributor

It's so fucking hard to recommend things to people now because there are so many fantastic options.

13. Krykiet Disco balls Contributor

Yea, the gas station ecigs are just crap. And as for suggestions... buy all the things? lol

14. VGB Heynong Man Contributor

Recently upgraded from an eLeaf iStick 30w that was nothing but frustrating. Thing eventually shorted. I decided since I was going to go the subtank route I might as well just go all in and get something nice. Grabbed the MVP 3.0 after some comparison, and it's been dope.

[​IMG]

Paired it with the Subtank Mini. I usually vape 70/30 with 3mg nicotine and this thing hits great. Best thing about spending coin on the higher end stuff is you save so much on upkeep and frustration...

oh, and it has a micro USB output to charge your phone with. I actually had to use it and it came in pretty handy, fwiw for such a silly feature.

15. zingy RebΦrn Contributor

Got the ego one as a xmas gift to myself, pretty impressed with it. Love the charge time I get when I'm on the road, super stealth, and decent clouds. Should have picked this up sooner. I think for my birthday I'm going to get the wismec reuleaux rx200. I need a new mod that can run my rda builds AND that also has passthrough charging (I vape mostly while driving or if I'm out)

16. Nancy_Miller New Member Member

I have been using the same eLeaf iStick 30w box mod for almost ten months, got it on last Christmas from Gypsyvapes. No frustrations, but there are a lot of opinions that eLeafs are endangered to sudden death after one year, and I’m already afraid of upcoming Xmas)