Rejection Reversal Links & Email Example

Discussion in 'MTurk Help' started by TeenageMutantNinjaTurker, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TeenageMutantNinjaTurker cool but rude Contributor

Sometimes requesters make mistakes too! If you ever find yourself in the position where a requester says that they would like to reverse a rejection they have given you, but they don't know how, here are a few links that may come in handy.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSMechTurk/latest/RequesterUI/ReversingRejectedAssignment.html

http://mechanicalturk.typepad.com/b...ignments-in-the-requester-user-interface.html

And, as always, when communicating with requesters remember that respect and professionalism will go a lot further than threats and disrespect.

Happy Turking!

• Like Like x 19
  2. lot krotan Banned

Just wanted to add this post from Scarlett about a rejection reversal form email.

Hey WitM! I usually appeal the rejection; it's worth a shot and if you approach the requester calmly and rationally (and they choose to be communicative about it), you'll have a good chance of getting it overturned.

Here's the template email I use:

Hi [requester],

I just received notice that a hit I completed for you was rejected due to [reason here, if provided]. My work was completed as accurately as I was able to, but if there was an issue or discrepancy, I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide and will be happy to re-do the work if the error was on my behalf.

Would you be willing to double-check my work and reverse this rejection? Rejections can severely affect a worker's account over time, so your consideration is greatly appreciated. Here's a link with more information on how to reverse a rejection: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSMechTurk/latest/RequesterUI/ReversingRejectedAssignment.html

Thanks for your time!

[your name]
    [your Mturk ID]

As Skye said though, rejections are inevitable and some requesters will outright ignore any emails you send them. I'm presently stuck at 24, largely because of PriceGrabber.com and a no-TO requester who gave me a bunch of undue rejections and disappeared. Sometimes you just have to roll with it. More incentive to increase your number of submitted hits so you can absorb rejections with no issue. 99.9% approval rating, so I'm happy! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 11
  3. Jadall New Member Member

does the mturk site ever kick the employers? I have lost a lot of hits from 2 providers that appear to have rejected all their hits from every worker!! one of them saying "sorry wrong question was asked" or something to that affect. also non reply from the employer at all.

4. sanath New Member Member

I got 300 rejections from eyeapps what to do now

5. s8nlovesme Well-Known Member Member

Are the links still valid? I tried to get a requestor to reverse a rejection using the two links. He told me he tried but it didnt work. I suppose I shouldnt freak over 3 rejects after 1025 approvals, but....

6. lot krotan Banned

Both links are still working on my end.

7. BeezyGotSole Member Member

I just got 25 rejections and counting from MELI - Mechanical Turk for the "Are these pictures OK?" is there any way to appeal these? I should have looked at the TO reviews before going ham on the batch smh. Ive only been turking for 2 days now, so this is killing my percentages right now.

8. NevadaCell New Member Member

I'm in the same boat! They seem to be rejecting every 3rd one even though I'm following the guidelines as I understand them.

I should've known better than to go all out on a batch before checking approvals.

UPDATE: I'm now at a 90% rejection rate for MELI, with the rest pending. Has anybody had any luck reversing rejections from this requestor? With less than 200 total HITs completed, I'm now in the low-80s for approval. :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. kishkish New Member Member

Good morning i got blocked from copytext inc. i was just starting to do hits i didnt relize there was
    a timer at which a person had time finish before the time was up i really want to work for them so
    bad

10. Jan Veteran Member Member

Have you checked their TO? I don't think they ever respond to emails.

Here's the link:
    http://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/A1CKEISKSOZ5HD

• Like Like x 2
  11. derper_D New Member Member

Hey guys!

Requester here that is new to mTurk!
    I created an HIT just yesterday for a research project for school (HIT ID 33P2GD6NRNSJ1XT0MP8KKABJLW9HK1). There was a screening error in the survey application I was using, and ended up rejecting 44 entries for unusable data/to free up some the little money I had. Shortly afterwards I was shown the gross ignorance of this decision and sought to reverse these rejections. I followed the help instructions, downloaded the .csv file, put X's in the APPROVED column, uploaded the file and get this screen:
    [​IMG]

THE PROBLEM:

After I click OK, I go back to the MANAGE menu and the .csv does not authenticate beyond the "Now processing CSV" message. It stays there for around an hour, and then goes away. Sometimes it gives me a message saying "CSV not processed correctly". I have attempted this process now 7 times and have had no success. I have emailed mTurk customer service but they have not yet replied.

ANOTHER (RELATED[?]) PROBLEM

When signing up for mTurk I was prompted to create an Amazon Payments account. I did, with minimal information, and was able to make a credit card payment for the HITs. Realizing that it was not enough money the first time, I made a second credit card payment, and was prompted to answer some personal information, which Amazon Payments promptly rejected. I was still able to pay for HITs with the first payment, so I just bought fewer, otherwise, Amazon is currently preventing me from making any financial move with my Payments account. I called Payments customer service earlier today and faxed them my most recent bank statement, and have yet to receive any emails from either mTurk or Payment's customer service divisions.

I'm wondering if these problems are related and/or if there is anybody else here that has experience with something similar! Any help is appreciated!

P.S. I have since corrected the error in the survey screening-- if you're seeing this now and would like to help a brotha out, there are zero chances of being rejected for a completed surveys!

• Like Like x 7
  12. ScottB MTG Elite Contributor

I'm not able to see the screenshot (it looks like you're linking to a local file on your computer), but are you also removing the text from the Rejected column of the CSV before reuploading it? If you have text in both fields it would throw up an error.

I also suspect it has to do with your Amazon Payments account status. From the AWS help documentation:

So if your Amazon Payments account doesn't have enough funds or is "limited" or blocked because of the billing/identity verification problems, the system will not let you approve the assignments. In that case, there really isn't anything you can do but keep on top of it and wait for Amazon to review your account. As you're probably learning, Amazon's lack of customer service and support for mTurk/Amazon Payments related problems is an issue for both requesters and workers!

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for being willing to reverse the rejections and for being upfront and communicative with us workers!

• Like Like x 3
  13. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

Yeah, if you want to share a screenshot with us, please upload it at http://imgur.com/ and paste the link in here. :)

I agree with ScottB saying it sounds like the problem is most likely due to your Payments account currently being unable to pay for the HITs to be approved.

• Like Like x 4
  14. HeatherDunaway05 New Member Member

I got a few from them too... Such a bummer. I suppose I'll have to be more careful. I'm also fairly new, about 4 days in I'm nervous about my percentages right now as well because of some rejected hits from Penn NLP and MELI - Mechanical Turk. Can Mturk like.. ban a person for too many rejections?

15. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

I hope you're using Turkopticon!

No, I don't think rejections are a known reason for suspensions (except for one example where the person was down to around 70%), as long as you keep a decent approval rate overall, though the lower approval rate they cause you to have causes you to be ineligible for some HITs. It's good to be at least 95%+ approved, preferably 99%+ approved.

16. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

In the 2/5/15 daily thread, @idscrux@idscrux posted a good message they used in a batch situation:

" I did a large number of your HITs yesterday and out of those i received one rejection. Since the others were approved I am really curious as to what i did wrong with that particular HIT. Could you please check to make sure that i do indeed deserve this rejection. If i do not, could you please reverse it as a rejection hurts an MTurk workers account. Thank you so very much for your time and understanding. " ​

17. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

Here's some relevant commentary from 3/6/15:

• Love Love x 1
  18. Boltz New Member Member

Just got a big, fat, red rejection on my record. Adios 100% approval rating :(

Sent them a message and hoping I get a reply or reversal or something. Wish me luck!!

Edited
    Good news, everyone! You can stop worrying about my approval rating now because the rejection was reversed!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

@TrevorNetmsi@TrevorNetmsi, an employee of a major requester who's actually had occasional personal communication with Amazon employees, has made a few comments about this topic before...

Jul 2012 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Un-rejecting a HIT...anyone know how?

" I can answer from a Requester's perspective. In the past the way to get rejections reversed would require us to contact our Amazon representative and ask them to do it for us (it would actually be handled by the support/tech team). In the most recent update to the API, they added a function to approve a previously rejected HIT, but it is not always an option.

The function only works on HITs that are less than 30 days old, and aren't disposed. The problem is that anyone who uses the API will probably write into their programs something to dispose HITs as soon as possible. This is even recommended by Amazon as "best practices" for Requesters. So, while they did introduce the ability for us to be able to do it ourselves theoretically, in the real world it's rarely an option.

If the company I work for wanted to get rejections reversed then we'd have to do it the old way. "​

Oct 2012 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Could use some advice.

" The requester can submit a support ticket to have the rejection reversed, though they may not know that. They have to provide your worker ID, the assignment ID (not the HIT ID), the date it was originally completed, and confirm that they have enough in their account to pay for the approved HIT.

Some new requesters may not realize that rejections are more than just lost money. When you do manage to contact them, be sure to explain that a rejection hurts your stats and can affect your ability to accept HITs. "​

Dec 2012 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Can you do anything to get rid of a rejection?

" The requester can sign in to www.mturk.com, then go to https://requester.mturk.com/contactus to submit a problem ticket. They need to provide your worker ID, the assignment ID (not the HIT ID), and the date it was submitted, along with confirmation that there is enough in their account to pay for an approval. Should take 3-5 business days for the reversal to go through. "​

May 2013 - currently-invisible comment from him on Incorrectly Rejected HIT : mturk

" Some requesters may not be aware that the issue is rejection stats, and not the money. You should send them another message explaining that the real issue is how a rejection can affect your stats and ability to work, and that there is a way to reverse rejections. "​

Jul 2013 - invisi-comment from him on Possible to have rejections overturned? : mturk

" Requesters can reverse a rejection themselves (either through the web tools or through the API, whichever they use) as long as the HIT isn't disposed. If they have already disposed the HIT, then they need to submit a tech support ticket to Amazon to get it reversed (which takes 3-5 days).

I get a ton of messages asking if I can reverse a rejection but not pay for the HIT. For any company (like mine) that pre-pays for HITs the answer is no. Reversed rejections automatically become approvals, and pay out. "​

Sep 2013 - invisi-comment on How long should it take a requester to reverse a rejection? : mturk

" If the HIT has not been "disposed" then it can be reversed instantly by the Requester themselves. If the HIT is disposed, then it requires contacting Amazon support with the worker ID, assignment ID (not HIT ID), date submitted, and confirmation that there is enough in the Requester's account to pay for the approval. If a support ticket is required, then it'll take 3-5 business (i.e. add 2 for weekends) days after the ticket is answered (I usually get a response confirming they've received it in 1-2 days).

In short: Requester ignores finished HITs: Instant. Requester disposes HITs: 3-9 days.

(By the way, "best practices" says to dispose a HIT as soon as you've sent an approval or rejection. The way the API works, if you ever want to look up an active HIT you need to dispose everything that's finished. There's no "active" or "open" search options and it always returns everything that isn't disposed. Most companies who use the API instead of the web interface will be stuck sending support tickets.) "​

Oct 2013 - invisi-comment on how fast can I expect my HITs to be completed? : mturk

" Majority-rules systems are heavily frowned upon by the Turker community (for good reason, they are massively unfair). If you want to have a double-check, then manually review any disputes/differences. "​

Jun 2014 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Just got my first rejection - is there supposed to be an explanation?

" The "requester feedback" field is optional when giving rejections, so it wouldn't be an error if you got one without a reason. "​

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015