My mother wants opinions on turking and how it could effect her

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deansep, Oct 20, 2016.

1. thatfireguy Turks for car parts Contributor

My mother is not very tech savvy and would have an even greater learning curve than there already is. She also suffers from anxiety and worries about all sorts of things (which not being computer savvy doesn't help as she worries even more about the legitimacy of websites, installing scripts, turking, etc.) She has a good majority of free time and has wondered about a decent way to make some extra income while being able to keep to something low stress, keep her anxiety down, and be able to be fluid with her hours.

I have given her my opinion but she wants to know more. We are looking for advice, alternatives, opinions, comments, etc.

2. Celtic Lady Spyder Ryder Contributor

Depending on the kind of money she's looking to make it could be an okay thing to do here and there. That being said, I could see some things about turking that could cause some anxiety aside from what you've noted already.

She could worry a lot about rejections. I got rather upset the other day over one I got. It has since been reversed but there is still a bad taste in my mouth about it. On days when it's hard to catch anything good it can be demotivating. If she's relying om turking to pay bills or anything on a deadline it can be stressful.

I can't really think of any good alternatives off the top of my head. Prolific is always my goto suggestion though. Just set up something on the studies page to watch for changes and do the surveys when they're available. Not as many as on turk but only one extension needed to check for changes and the pay better. Between the two she should be able to come up with some extra income; even if she only does surveys on mturk and prolific.

3. NathanPS MTG Elite Contributor

@rater9@rater9 perhaps you could shed some light on this? :)

4. rater9 Happy Holidays!!! Contributor

I really do not know what to suggest. I come from a long background of clerical/technical skills that I have used over the past 25 years to support myself without working in an office on a regular basis. Prolific is a good source of surveys, but there is a possible problem of her not being "qualified" for many surveys. Also she may become stressed out from the volitivity of the exchange rate for the British Pound to US Dollar. If her skills are still somewhat in the "development" stages, she would probably need to start out with just working with many of the "grocery store receipt" type hits on MTurk that most of us don't do any longer. She needs to be aware that rejections WILL happen if her typing skills are not next to sterling.

I wish her well.

5. thatfireguy Turks for car parts Contributor

I don't think she would worry much about rejections if I set her up properly with turkopticon. I already told her rejections do happen but put forth good work for good requesters and there shouldn't be an issue. She wouldn't need to worry about turking for bills, its more for extra side income. I think the biggest obstacle for her to overcome is the learning curve and getting to know, trust, and understand scripts. Plus there was the whole discussion a while back about if mturk gives socials and other data to requesters for 'tax' purposes.

I have also brought that up too. She would need to start out with the receipts, crowdsurf, etc. I think she had high hopes for the $60 transcription hits. Her typing is accurate and fast, but it's her anxiety and computer skills that hold her back.

6. rater9 Happy Holidays!!! Contributor

I guess all you can do is sign her up coach and point her toward the easiest crocery receipts you can find so she can start getting through her first 1000 hits. :)

7. Raphael88 New Member Member

Quick question folks! Just what exactly is Prolific?

8. Imran520 New Member Member

Good question and Turks are great nation in my opinion.