Hit Scraper guide

Discussion in 'mTurk Scripts & Extensions' started by Gingasaurus, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Gingasaurus Resident Dinosaur Contributor

Jaded Edit: Sorry for the edit, I'm just putting in a quote with a new link since it was in a new place Thanks Kerek!

So, Hit Scraper is a really handy tool for finding batches that aren't posted in the thread. It can be a little intimidating at first and maybe even a little confusing but I'm here to help!

If you're unfamiliar with scripts in general, you're best bet is to start here. Otherwise, if it's just this script tripping you up, maybe I can help a little. (I totally didn't get it at first, so maybe that'll make me better at explaining it.) What you'll wanna do, is install the script and then bookmark this page. I suggest putting the bookmark in your bookmark bar like so:

[​IMG]

Now, once you've done that, go ahead and click on the bookmark.

You should see something that looks like this:

[​IMG]

So these are all customizable things. I leave everything alone except "Minimum batch size" "Minimum Reward" and I check the most first bubble. My default numbers are 50 and .02, if it's really slow I might lower it to 25 and/or .01 but I've only done that a handful of times.

Now, you're gonna wanna click Start. After that does it's thing, you'll see a page that looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Woah, colors, right? So, the colors are TO ratings, if you're not familiar with TO (first DO IT) refer to the first link. These can show you at a glance which batches are work working on, it will also show you the Requester, Hit Name, Number Available, Reward, etc. So then you can accept, click on the hit, requester, or TO as you see fit.

Play around with the settings to find what works for you. You can change the Auto-refresh delay to make the page automatically refresh every so often, you can change up the minimum reward amounts or the minimum batch size to suit your needs for the day.

Additionally, there may be certain requesters you just don't want showing up in your search results. For that, see my next post.

• Like Like x 37
  2. Gingasaurus Resident Dinosaur Contributor

Okay, so you're ready to move into advanced territory, good for you! This might get a little scary, but don't worry, I'll try to keep you from messing anything up and if you do, you can go back and start again.
    So! You'll want to click on the Tampermonkey icon and select Dashboard. From your Dashboard click on Hit Scraper. Here's the scary part:

[​IMG]

Don't panic! If you've never seen code before or messed with it, it can be really intimidating but it's all good, trust me, you got this.

We're just looking for one particular line that starts with var ignore_list=, it should look like this:

[​IMG]

Except yours won't have all those names. That's my list of blocked requesters, but you'll want to make your own list based on who you like to work for, who's TO you don't like, etc. The only important thing to remember about editing this list is that you have to use exact spelling, capitalization, spaces, all that, has to be exactly the same, and you put the name inside "" quotes and a comma outside of the quotes.

Your whole list of requesters should be inside [ ] brackets and the line should end with a ;

That's it! Now after you've added your requesters, hit the save button and check it out. You may have to restart your browser for the changes to take effect, or at least close the scraper page and reopen it.

Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 21
  3. Gingasaurus Resident Dinosaur Contributor

I know when I first started using the Hit Scraper, some of the colors were way too bright for my eyes, so the first thing I did was change my colors. It's really easy too.

Just like editing the blocked requester list, you'll need to open up the script code. This time you have to scroll down a bit further in the code until you see a section that looks like this:

[​IMG]

If you're not familiar with Hex codes it probably looks like gibberish, but those numbers and letters are actually colors.

There are a lot of resources online for hex color code references, here's one for example. These are the same colors you can use in the forum to change your text, links, name (if you buy that in the shop), etc.

So you'll just want to find a suitable color for the category one that's easier on your eyes on the screen and take that alpha-numeric code and insert it in your script code. You don't even have to use the green yellow red format, if you wanted you could make it look like this:

[​IMG]

Just make sure your colors make sense to you!

Things to remember: Your color code has to be between the ' ' quotes and MUST have a # sign in front of it (also inside the quotes). Regardless of what colors you pick, don't change the color name! Those are essential for the script to work properly. If you want to remember what the color is, you can comment it in the code behind two slashes ( // ) You may see that throughout the code. Those are comments to help people understand what's going on, so you can write whatever you want behind two slashes and it won't hurt anything.

So, now you're a Hit Scraper Pro! Go forth and grind batches!

• Like Like x 13
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Lowlife That's Mr. Asshole Contributor

5. jconnagh Member Member

I was referred to this guide to search for batches, but the link to the script in the first post isnt working. I am guessing that the post above is the link to the actual script but I am unsure how to put the script into greasemonkey without downloading from the userscript.org website. Can anyone help me out? thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lowlife That's Mr. Asshole Contributor

http://www.mturkgrind.com/threads/17698-Mechanical-Turk-User-Scripts

• Like Like x 3
  7. ainai2014 MTG Elite Contributor

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kerek Reaper of Souls Member

• Like Like x 7
  9. Thenewdarwin New Member Member

Dear Gingasaurus,

Thank you very much for all of the information. This is very well written and I am thankful for the time and effort that you put into this post series on HIT Scraper.

I am relatively knew to turking. I have done decently well my first focused week on and hour or two a day. I do have a question though. My scraper is set to the most basic criteria but their are only 5 available batches. Is this Sunday just slow or will there be more in the future?

• Like Like x 2
  10. TowerCityValkyrie Valkyrie of Lake Erie Contributor

I just wanted to pop in here and say that this guide and userscript is awesome, and it has helped me get my earnings up from what I was doing before! Now I make over $25 a day reliably, with the weekly amounts going up. I'm only 3 weeks in and so getting Hit-Scraper was one of the best things I did!

@Thenewdarwin: Weekends are usually slower, and so is summer overall from what I have been reading. However school is gonna start soon for many and so the work will pick up. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Khaleesi MTG Elite Contributor

12. dharmakishore New Member Member

Just found this. Thank you sooo much :ab:

• Like Like x 2
  13. kermitsluvchild New Member Member

Thank you so much for this!! A newbie like me actually got this to work. My eyes glazed over with all the instructions, lol. I am so happy!

• Like Like x 2
  14. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

From Kanna in the 06/29 daily thread:

" Made this for another forum and thought it'd help some new people here too. Today is slow enough that you should learn to use HIT scraper!

https://greasyfork.org/scripts/2002-hit-scraper-with-export
    Install that, then go to
    https://www.mturk.com/mturk/findhits?match=true?hit_scraper

[​IMG]

1: How often you want it to check for new HITS in seconds

2: How many pages you want it to scrape. The more you search, the more you will find, but if you have a fast auto refresh, like say 3-6 seconds, you don't need this to be big. It'll slow you down.

3: The smallest amount of HITS you want in a batch. Doesn't work for me.

4: No idea, don't think it really is important

5: The minimum you want paid per HIT. I set it to .10 for ten cents, because I like doing lots of little HITS. Most people set it to .75+ so that they see the big HITS fast.

Scraper is why all the $1+ surveys have been going so fast lately, it's so easy even people turking a week can use it.

How I set up mine:
    In the morning, I scrape 50 pages for minimum reward .10 and do everything over a 4 TO- they'll be color highlighted. After that, I set it to refresh ~10 pages every 10 seconds. "​

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  15. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

16. webvision Member Member

Been trying to figure this out, but maybe someone can help. I can't get hit scraper to work in incognito or another browser when not logged in. I'm trying to avoid the damn page requests. Does anyone have any tricks on how to get that to work? When i hit search nothing happens.

btw Amazon tracks page requests by IP or by account?

Thank you

17. zingy RebΦrn Contributor

By account

uncheck qualified on the hit scraper window that you're not logged in with, it should work that way.

• Like Like x 2
  18. saturn ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Contributor

on point 4: the time in seconds you want new hits to stay highlighted as new.

you can hover mouse over most options to see a more detailed description of what that option does

• Like Like x 3
  19. meekajade61 New Member Member

Question from a total newbie to turking but not adding scripts..(back in the day it was the only way to build websites) Is there any script or way to block certian requesters? I see so many HITS for the same few people and they are penny PandAs that I don't want to do Some I totally love doing but These massive amounts of requests for the same thing from one requester take up my time and page going through to get to the meat on the bones. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Morisato Active Member Member

Was just wondering, is there a way to completely filter all of the Requesters with "Grey TO" (little to know feedback) instead of blocking them?

I'm hesitant about blocking them because their TO may actually improve.

• Like Like x 1