Frugal/Cheapskate/Money Saving Tips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by balazon2000, Nov 5, 2014.

1. balazon2000 Queen of her domain Contributor

Talk about a time warp. Sorry I disappeared from here for a bit due to hubby's health issue (heart attack #4) and roomie's stroke. I've not been dong much of anything but cleaning and toting. I did get everything in my order and in the size I ordered. It was a very easy order. After your post I was kind of surprised I got it okay.

2. balazon2000 Queen of her domain Contributor

A topic I've seen much more lately both on tv and on social media is urban gardening/farming. The idea behind this is that no matter where you live or the size of your home/yard, you have space to provide natural, delicious food for your family. Kids love to eat what they've grown themselves. There are tons of places on the internet to get more information. Some key words to try are: "urban gardening", "urban farming" and just about anything you can think of. There is even a place on the internet (can't remember where now) showing a system developed by a couple of African women utilizing pipes to grow tons of food on their lots. Very interesting. Be careful since this is a major place to get lost in the internet...you know like looking for that perfect cat pic for your posts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. momster23 MTG Elite Contributor

Just finished reading through the entire thread before posting. Grocery stores put their sale items on a 13 week cycle. They may put the item on sale during the 13 weeks, but the best price, or rock bottom price will be posted every 13 weeks. Pay attention to what you use and keep track of the prices and you will see the cycle. Plus certain items will go on sale during different seasons and holidays. Make a list of items you regularly use, and the best price you have seen for it. When it goes on sale, stock up to last you 13 weeks. Like others have mentioned, Costco is a good place for my family but I do calculate the savings every year and see if it is worth renewing. Butter is a good price at Costco, love their jelly, along with organic half & half is a good price,I buy 5 bags of Normandy blend of vegetables when I go, the bakery items are really good too. I get tortillas for a great price and freeze them. Love the monthly coupon book too.
    Making a monthly menu helps with cutting down on groceries and trips to the store. This past holiday (Labor Day), I purchased lots of chicken, steak, hamburger, ribs and shrimp. Prepping out the meats and veggies wasn't fun, but now I can cook a healthy meal quickly because I did the majority of the prep work and loaded it into the freezer. Now, I can make green chili, fajitas-chicken or steak, kabobs, spaghetti with homemade meatballs, enchiladas, lasagna and the list goes on and on.
    A crock pot is a really good investment. You can make a variety of food in them including bbq ribs, roasts, soups, etc.
    Remember, no matter how cheap something is on sale, if you or your family won't eat it, it isn't a good deal. That's why it is a good idea to make a list of foods your family likes, pull out or find recipes on how to fix them and make these items top priority to be in your pantry/freezer. If everyone hates hot dogs, don't stock up on those, same with lima beans. But, if you know you will be making nachos every Sunday for football season, it would be wise to stock up when all those items are on sale and prep as much as you can. Once your pantry is stocked, you can spend your grocery funds on keeping your pantry stocked up by cherry picking the front page sale items and perhaps picking up a treat or two because you are spending less money!
    Use coupons on items you normally purchase. For example, I will purchase coffee no matter if it has a coupon or not. I am tickled when I can get it on sale and have a coupon too. www.thecouponclippers.com is a good place to get coupons. www.hotcouponworld.com is a good place to preview ads. This does help in making shopping lists and matching up coupons. www.mypoints.com gives 10 points for each coupon used. Turn in points for gift cards. There are other ways to earn points on this site.
    Growing your produce is a good idea. Also, major grocery chains now have competitive prices on organics. Remember, reduce, recycle and reuse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. TNK It's what you make of it Moderator

I scheduled an appointment to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth out next month. I do not have dental insurance but someone recommended this dental plan to me www.1dental.com/ (careington 500 is the name of the plan) and it brought my total from $1200 to $560. The plan costs $120 and is good for a year. Very glad someone else was able to recommenced this to me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016