Frugal/Cheapskate/Money Saving Tips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by balazon2000, Nov 5, 2014.

1. AngryRobotsInc Robot Master Contributor

Very true. I forget about the small ones sometimes, because we had one of the GIGANTO sorts. It was both a blessing and a curse. The curse being getting to the bottom and finding the "...when the hell did we buy this?" items.

• Like Like x 1
  2. forty2 witty saying Contributor

This so much. Don't let any leftovers mold in the back of the fridge- package them up in lunch-size portions & pop them in the freezer.

coffee brought up growing your own- there are tons of things that can grow and thrive, with little space or attention, and reward you far beyond your efforts. You can grow almost anything in buckets, if you feel like you don't have enough space for a proper garden. Tomatoes, peppers, cukes, beans, eggplant, squash.

Also, when you buy supermarket spices- stay away from the baking aisle "McCormack" name brands and such... Skip that and go to the international food aisle and get the same exact spices at a fraction of the cost as the fancy brand names.

• Like Like x 5
  3. fini_ici Veteran Member Member

Or if you have a grocery store around that sells spices by the bulk bin, that's MUCH cheaper than buying the little bottles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AngryRobotsInc Robot Master Contributor

Something besides groceries. Learning on the cheap. From something besides the internet.

Look up "Adult education (your city)". A lot of city school systems will run adult & continuing education classes, with decent prices if you're a resident of that city. I could go take a six week Spanish course in my city for $86. Not bad for some learning. Rec centers too. They'll often have various work out classes and craft classes running, for alright prices too. Getting a rec center membership is a good idea anyway, because most of them will have some sort of exercise machines that you then get free access to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coffee Veteran Member Member

Oh yeah, check out your YMCA if you have one near you. A lot, if not all of them, do a sliding pay scale so you pay based on your incom. When we lived near one we paid $21/month for the whole family for unlimited stuff, exercise, classes, they even had a pool. We went almost every day, way cheaper than any gym, and lots of free stuff for kids to do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Turkin' For the Weekend Well-Known Member Member

Check out some free certification courses online, too. Great way to learn something new, and have something tangible to prove it. It's a constant debate as to whether the free ones will actually give you a leg up in getting a job, but some, like the ones FEMA offer can actually be used for college credit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AngryRobotsInc Robot Master Contributor

Seriously. Always be learning. Even if it doesn't give you a leg up on a job, it's good for the brainmeats.

More learning stuff, internet this time. There are oodles, and oodles of free resources for learning languages online. Duolingo is a good start (and free) though their options are limited to Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Dutch, Danish, and Irish, last I checked. But pretty much every language has some resources out there.

Lang8 is also pretty great. Write journal entries in your target language, and get corrections from native speakers. You can also give corrections on people learning your native language.

Rhinospike is another nice one. Submit a sentence, and get a recording of a native speaker reading it out, and also record yourself speaking out sentences in your native language.

Skype is good too. Good way to get in speaking practice, if you're not around a lot of speakers. italki is a good resource to find and set up language exchanges.

Those are just a miniscule amount of free resources on the internet (links provided below). Google will turn up tons of stuff, and there are reviews of resources readily available with a quick search. So get out there and exercise the brainmeats with a second (or third, or fourth, etc.) language.

Duolingo
    Lang8
    Rhinospike
    italki

• Like Like x 2
  8. blackpupjean MTG Elite Contributor

Don't know if this has been posted, but don't forget about Wal Mart's savings catcher program. And if you use bluebird it will double your amount.

https://savingscatcher.walmart.com/

If you have a Kindle or ereader, there are tons of free books you can download

I either buy my clothes on sale or go to the thrift store (gonna pop some tags, got 20 dollars in my pocket, lalalal).

If you don't like to read but still like a good story, download the overdrive media. You can borrow books and audio to your tablet, smartphone, computer, etc. Either audio or ebook. Just like the library.

Cut cable, dish, direct tv and buy a Roku player. They are cheap $49 - $99 and have tons of free stuff to watch.

Get my movies from the library, have to wait awhile to get the new releases, but I'm patient.

• Like Like x 3
  9. balazon2000 Queen of her domain Contributor

Great ideas! One thing to remember though, if it doesn't really save you money, DON'T buy it. If you only use 1-2 peaches in a shopping period, don't buy 2-3 pounds unless you plan on canning or freezing them.

• Like Like x 3
  10. balazon2000 Queen of her domain Contributor

Before I forget. There is a school that is completely free where you can get all the classes on a college level for quite a few majors. Saylor University. Their forums are good and the teachers are knowledgeable and easy to approach. There are some classes you can get that you can get credits for. They are working on getting all their classes accredited at the moment.

Their classes are awesome. I really enjoy the computer information that I get from there. You go at your own speed.

• Like Like x 4
  11. AngryRobotsInc Robot Master Contributor

For movies, even though it's not free, Netflix's streaming service is also a pretty good deal. About $8 a month, and you get unlimited viewing. Their digital library is sadly limited compared to their DVD library, but they've got quite a bit, and it can be a good supplement to renting from the library. Also available on pretty much every platform there is now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AngryRobotsInc Robot Master Contributor

Double posting because I don't want this to get lost in the flow being the last post of the page. This is seriously neat, and thank you for posting it. I hadn't heard of this before, and it is a really, really good idea. I had been wanting to work on my math skills but had trouble really tracking down college level stuff in a manageable format.

I think I'm going to hit up the store tomorrow and get me some notebooks and what not, and get me some schooling.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Turkin' For the Weekend Well-Known Member Member

Definitely this. If everyone hasn't already, cutting the cord is a must. When we were first dating, I noticed my wife was paying ~$100 for standard definition cable, limited to about fifty channels. I convinced her to ditch cable and sign up for both Netflix streaming and Hulu Plus. It comes out to a fraction of the cost, and there's more content. Obviously, if you're used to having shows curated for you, it might be hard to make the switch at first, but it's worth it. Hell, you can even throw in an Amazon Prime subscription, now that they're becoming a major player in streaming, and you're still paying a lot less than cable. For this, I highly recommend a Roku.

If you're ever curious as to what's available over streaming, check out Can I Stream It?. Just type in the show/movie you're looking for and it shows you your streaming, digital rental, digital purchase, Redbox, and On Demand options.

Also, you can get plenty of channels OTA these days, with the networks in HD. They also have a variety of substations, too, covering a little bit of everything.

If you need help setting up your antenna, TV Fool is a wonderful resource.

Some of the networks and cable channels offer full episodes free on their respective websites. Stingy TV aggregates most of the sites with content on them.

There's also USTVNow (you're supposed to be abroad to use this service, but I've rarely had a problem), NimbleTV (you only get a few channels free, otherwise you're basically paying for a Dish subscription), and FilmOn (not that good), if you need to watch something live.

Then there's the... sketchy options. Torrents, foreign streaming sites, password sharing for cable content/live streaming, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. blackpupjean MTG Elite Contributor

Anyone know a good Windows 8.1 course to take for free.

15. blackpupjean MTG Elite Contributor

One thing I like about Netflix is if there is a new release I want to watch, I rent Netflix for a month. Than when there is nothing else I want to watch I will cancel it. So I only pay for Netflix for about 6 months all together. I pay for Hulu also about 6 months, I'll binge watch my shows then I will cancel. With Amazon Prime you can't do this because you have to pay for a full year. But as Turkin said a Roku player is the way to go as there are many channels for free, plus you can get Lifetime, Smithsoian, History (limited viewing but all free channels with no commercials). Roku also has YouTube. There is all kinds of stuff to watch on You Tube. SYnc your tablet or smartphone with your roku player and it makes it very easy to search you tube. Also if you buy Play On ($39 for a lifetime membership) you can sync tv show from your computer to Roku and watch all your TV shows on your TV a day after they air. There are also Crackle on Roku, free TV and movies but you have to watch commercials. I would definately encourage to check out roku.com , so much cheaper than cable or satellite.

So altogether I think I pay just under $200/year for TV

• Like Like x 1
  16. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

• Like Like x 2
  17. pjnlsn Veteran Member Member

Dollar stores are great. I calculate the price per volume compared to my local supermarket to make sure but to this day I haven't found a single item that's more expensive than the supermarket.

Also, i'm learning to sew.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bantling Member Member

I think I'm going to look into the YMCA. I didn't realize they had sliding scale options, but I just checked the local website and it said about financial assistance. I don't know if we'd qualify, but the last time I checked the rates at the local Y, a family plan was $175.00 a month, which was way out of my budget.

19. bantling Member Member

After years of messing around with coupons and a ton of time spent checking store ads and running from sale to sale, I now do most of my shopping at Aldi's. It took me a while to warm up to it, and there are still certain things I buy elsewhere, but I get a lot of staples there. They pay their employees decent too, which is a bonus.

I used to do most of my shopping at a locally owned surplus grocer. Through the years I got to know the employees and it was always a nice experience. Unfortunately, the owner died about two years ago and since then, his sons have run the store into the ground. Not only have the prices gotten much higher, but they are treating long time employees with little value or respect.

So Aldi's it is.

Once you get the hang of sewing, if you're doing clothing, I'd highly recommend Bootstrap Fashion for patterns. They have some great basics, and can custom fit according to your measurements. I made my daughter an Attack on Titans costume using one of their patterns this year (with some alterations), but it turned out AMAZING.

20. clickhappier ★★Ⰼ₳ՖŦξᚱ⌚ Contributor

Any Verizon Wireless cell phone customers, today's the day to go get your free 1GB of extra data service: https://www.verizonwireless.com/connection-day/
    "Verizon MORE EVERTHING customers stay connected with 1GB data today through the end of your bill cycle. Then enjoy another GB of FREE data to use through the next billing cycle."

They're also sponsoring some free Amazon music and Android apps and some other random stuff, that everyone can get even if you're not a Verizon customer.

• Like Like x 1