About StanleyMilgram

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NathanPS, Sep 13, 2016.

1. slothbear MTG Elite Contributor

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Love Love x 1
  2. rsclone Veteran Member Member

damn..i had just PM'ed him the other day joking around about the federales picking on the gringo and he said he was cool, just busy with new work at the clinic....he didn't sound stressed or down at all....
    he was so great about giving me advice on here and advice on how to move down there legally...another just heart breaking loss.....

all the best to his family, I wish there was something I could say or do other than testify to what a wonderful human he was while he was with us....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jan Veteran Member Member

I just wanted to add my sympathies for his family. I'm so sorry - what a terrible loss.
    :(
    jan

4. ChristopherASA MTG Elite Contributor

If anything defines the word "shocking," this is it. I don't know that Tom and I conversed more than one time on this forum, but no one could miss how genuinely interesting - and vibrant - a guy he was. I can't help but think that Tom was one of the twenty veterans yesterday who did away with themselves. So sad. And so especially sad for his family. And his friends. My most heart-felt condolences go out to his family.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 74jrh3 MTG Elite Contributor

Oh no! I'm absolutely devastated.
    He and JQ in such a short span?
    He was so damned smart and friendly and helpful just like Jesse was.
    God dammit. God fucking dammit.
    I didn't know him very well, but he seemed like a real mensch.
    What a terrible loss for so many reasons.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mypaperheart Professional PI Searcher Contributor

Oh my gosh, I'm shocked, stunned, sad, and devastated. I was talking to him when he "disappeared" last month and have been worried about him. I just wish he'd said something to someone. :'( He was always so kind, helpful, and friendly. I just don't know what to say other than never be afraid to reach out...and people always care, even if you feel like they don't. :( :( :( :(

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. mypaperheart Professional PI Searcher Contributor

Resources for veterans who are feeling suicidal:

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

September is suicide prevention awareness month... :'(

8. rater9 Happy Holidays!!! Contributor

We want to express our heartfelt condolences to Tom's family. This is a very hard situation to understand and although we've been in the Ministry the greater share of our lives, this causes our hearts to bleed. We pray and ask that healing, peace, comfort and strength come to Tom's family in this time of need, and for that of our social community here as well.

-- rater9 and Rev

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ristiekay Some sort of seal cat Contributor

He was such an awesome guy! He helped me out so much back in the spring when I was trying to learn how to Turk more effectively. He even helped me get set up with freedompop so I could have Internet and do surveys on my laptop at home and when I say helped, I mean he sent me money through PayPal so I could purchase the router thing and he wouldn't let me pay him back. We even talked on the phone one night and he teased me about my very Southern accent.
    I knew he had some stuff going on later in the spring and he stopped messaging with me, but I saw that he was still active on the forum and figured he was just tired of talking to me.
    I'm praying that he is at peace now and praying for his family. He will be greatly missed!

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. mypaperheart Professional PI Searcher Contributor

One time when Amazon Payments was down he messaged me and offered to Paypal me money to tide me over until it got fixed. I didn't take him up on it, but he was very very generous and kind. It doesn't surprise me that he did that for you.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Wilma I have no idea what's going on Contributor

I am absolutely speechless. What a wonderful human being Tom was.

When I thought my world was crumbling when my boyfriend was diagnosed with a large stomach tumor and in the hospital having a major surgery, he looked over lab reports, scrutinized doctor comments, and called me on several occasions to run through his thoughts on what was happening and what to expect. He stayed in touch with me throughout the entire experience insisting that I ask questions and talk it through with him so that I wasn't left to speculate and imagine the worst. I can honestly say that I was able to be strong and be there for Jerry because of Tom. It isn't often that a man with such brilliance has an equal share of compassion but Tom personified exactly that.

He will be truly missed. I truly hope his family finds peace and I am certainly praying for it.

• Love Love x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  12. karimi53 MTG Elite Contributor

Eulogy for a Veteran

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
    I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the Gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the mornings hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in circled flight,
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there, I did not die.

• Love Love x 1
  13. BigmanJ Established Member Member

Love you buddy.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ristiekay Some sort of seal cat Contributor

It was so sweet and it was $25 that I really didn't have at the time. I didn't ask, he just kept saying that he wanted to help and what a huge difference it would make if I could do HITs on my computer at home.
    He was so generous and kindhearted, to everyone! Didn't he match contributions for JQ's go fund me?

• Like Like x 4
  15. AnotherMe Veteran Member Member

Wow! This is sad in every way possible. I wouldn't have imagined it, as he seemed so alive with his personality, and was so likeable.
    He did withdraw a bit from the forum over the last month or two which I wondered about, and was going to ask him. But I still wouldn't have imagined this happening. I assumed his medical work was taking more of his time.

My deepest condolences to the family.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  16. Sparkster Member Member

I'm very sad to hear this news. I barely knew him at all compared to many of you but I recall seeing many of his posts in my relatively short time here on MTG. His friendliness, quick wit, and willingness to help others were hard to miss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and may God give them comfort during this difficult time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bliss Veteran Member Member

18. hashbeezy MTG Elite Contributor

This is heart breaking. I really enjoyed his posts. He always had a great story to tell and was always very helpful. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

19. ingasi New Member Member

This is just so hard to believe. It's like a scalpel slashing the soul. Condolences to all. And.... please everyone, stay alive!

• Love Love x 1
  20. TheTurksHead Veteran Member Member

Ave atque vale, brother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1